Friday, December 28, 2012

Monitoring Your Spouse's Spending

This was an e-mail I recently sent out to my loved ones:

Hey family!!!

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

I know that most of you don't really know what I've been up to lately as you have just gotten bits and pieces here and there. I wanted to send an e-mail to give you an idea of my cause, why I am doing what I am doing and what I am trying to accomplish.

As most of you know, first time marriages end in divorce 41% of the time here in the United States. According to www.divorce.com, the number one reason is finances. In many marriages, one partner may hide a debt for several years only to reveal the overwhelming and devastating debt after several years. I believe partners need to discuss finances at least twice a year and keep each other accountable, keeping the communication lines open before the matter gets out of hand.

...Removed for compliance purposes!!!

One recommendation I have is to review credit reports on a monthly basis to make sure that debts are visible to both partners. There should not be any possibility to have a debt shock the spouse.

Dedicated to the Izu Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment