Monday, August 6, 2012

The Get Rich Slow Scheme

So, the topic today is to address the idea of getting rich quickly and the concept of get rich quick schemes. Let's admit it. Sometimes people are lazy. Sometimes they want to maximize their rewards and minimize their efforts.

CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY

If you want to get rich quickly, you can. Its really simple. Close your eyes. Think of all the great things you have in your life. Despite your situation, despite where you are, you are already rich. Rich with many blessings you probably just don't take the time to realize you have.

"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst", John 4:14. I usually don't quote scripture because I'm not really worthy to but let me just throw it out there as it may mean something special to others.

Some people always want more. They want this or that in their life. No matter how much they get, they take and take and take. What I propose is that people choose to be happy, appreciate what they have fully and attempt to enjoy each day of life. If they do this, they should not find it difficult to live within their means.

MOTIVATE YOURSELF

One of the great things about all those get rich quick schemes out there is they are very motivational. Yes, I tend to see the positive in many things. Two of my good friends opened my eyes to Robert Greene's book called "The 48 Laws of Power". You can check this list out on wikipedia. When I first looked at this list, I thought, "EVIL!". I almost shunned away when I read some of this page because the idea of manipulating other people just didn't sit right with me. Then, I decided to read it so that I could protect myself from others trying to manipulate me. I don't know if this is just a euphemism, but I prefer to be an open book, providing information and let people make their own decisions. Now, I am not like most people, so I sat and thought about how these 48 laws could be used as something positive in my own life. Here is what I decided. People can be their own motivators. They can use the 48 laws of power to motivate themselves to achieve the goals they set out for themselves.

A great way to motivate yourself is to attend two professional seminars or conferences per year. You may come back refreshed and motivated. I like Robert Kiyosaki because he often knocks those with a traditional college degree. While, I am a huge fan of getting a traditional education, I also believe that one should never stop learning.

Despite how many achievements I have in life, or what I think I have accomplished, life always has its way of humbling me, sometimes with a devastating knock out. I spoke to an old gentleman yesterday and he told me a story of the Dalai Lama. About a business man who went to the Dalai Lama in search of advice and basically couldn't stop talking. The Dalai Lama proceeded to fill his cup of tea until it overflowed and continued pouring. The point was that the business man could not learn anything because his cup was not empty.

"Even the strongest current of water cannot add a drop to a cup which is already full."

"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow- witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him."

One great way to motivate yourself is to focus on your dreams and goals. Write them down. Usually, I have heard about a Harvard study about goal setting. I think this is a myth, but here is an interesting study: http://cdn.sidsavara.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/researchsummary2.pdf.

“Ordinary people believe only in the possible. Extraordinary people visualize not what is possible or probable, but rather what is impossible. And by visualizing the impossible, they begin to see it as possible.” – Cherie Carter-Scott

TIME VALUE OF EFFORT

Albert Einstein was quoted as saying, “The most powerful force in the universe is compound interest.” I want to take this one step further. "The most powerful force in the univerise is the time value of effort."

I often talk to other people about the revolutionary concept I like to call the "Get Rich Slow Scheme". It is not what you do over the span of a few years that makes the difference, but what you do over the span of your lifetime. Rather than try to hit home runs, learn how to hit a single and repeat the process. You may "fail" and if you do, learn from your failure and try again. Eventually, after years and years of learning, modifying, strengthening, you may just hit a home run. Once you do, you may just hit a few more. Like compound interest you will also find that your efforts tend to stack exponentially.

I guess it is ironic that I have always been very happy with what I have had and at the same time been motivated to grow and build more. A somewhat zen concept of maintaining an abundance to help the suffering of those around me. This is thanks to those who have shared their abundance with me whenever I was suffering.

Support My Mission

1. You can support my mission by visiting http://www.izuservices.com and donating. A dollar lets me know you support my mission or like my posts. Thank you for those who have already donated.

2. Donate to SAGE via http://sagescholars.berkeley.edu/. The UC Berkeley SAGE (Student Achievement Guided by Experience) is a self-funded experiential leadership program that provides education, professional development, mentoring and internships to UC Berkeley students who come from poverty and low income backgrounds. I serve on the Leadership Council for SAGE and want to help raise money for their cause.

3. Call toll-free (877) 855-8111 or log on to www.PrimericaSecure.com to save yourself some money on either your home or auto insurance policies. Be sure to use my last name (IZU) and solution number (2MTFT). PrimericaSecure automatically compares rates from multiple companies such as Progressive, Travelers, Safeco, Hallmark, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment